Nokia Lumia 800 confirmed for Australia, launching in March
Great news for those of us in Australia! Nokia Australia informed us today that they are coming back in the Australian market with their first phone launch in nearly 6 months, starting the with very popular Nokia Lumia 800! This great news is obvious for all to see, as this phone has taken Europe by storm, backed by Nokia’s large marketing blitz which includes a spectacular 4D performance by one of the world’s best DJ’s – Deadmau5! The Lumia 800 is expected to be launched sometime in March, on all three major Australian carriers – Optus, Telstra, and Vodafone, although pricing has not been revealed as of yet.
This bodes well for the future of Nokia, especially since is their first foray into the Windows Phone world in Australia. As of yet, no Marketing Blitz has been planned or announced by Nokia in Australia, to drum up some interest for the very sexy and well built Lumia 800, nor has there been any indication of a launch date for the cheaper Lumia 710 but at least we know that Nokia is headed in the right direction with launching this phone (even though it is nearly 4 months overdue).
Nokia Australia’s managing director, Chris Carr, has this to say , “Nokia Lumia will change the way people think about Nokia. It signifies a new beginning for the company, bringing together the very best of Nokia’s handset design and services with the latest Windows Phone software. Interest locally for Nokia Lumia, our first range of Nokia with Windows Phone devices, has been extremely positive, with a significant appetite from operators and retailers looking to offer consumers a real smartphone alternative. With uptake from all Australian operators and major retailers, the launch of the Nokia Lumia 800 signals our intent to regain leadership in smartphone design and usability,” Carr said.
All in all a very positive message from Chris Carr, who is clearly excited to see the tie between Nokia, Windows Phone, and the Lumia range (as are we). On other interesting tidbit to note is that Nokia Australia have also confirmed that the Lumia 800 will come in the standard Black, Cyan (Blue), Magenta (Pink) and much fabled White! This is great as it will give customers a wide variety of color choices, on a wide range of networks! Nokia is clearly aiming to get the phone out to as many customers as they can – after all they are depending on this phone to be a raging success!
For now, you can register your interest at Telstra if you so wish to, to find as as soon as availability is announced. No interest pages have been put up from Optus or Vodafone as of now, although Vodafone have been kind enough to put up the device manual page.
To find out how the Lumia 800 stacks up against some of the best phones in the world, click here. Otherwise have a look at the Press Release from Nokia below. We’ll endeavour to bring you news as soon as possible, on pricing and further availability.
If however you can’t wait that long, you can order your unlocked Lumia 800 from Clove UK today!
Sydney, Australia – 30th January 2012.The first Nokia with Windows Phone – the Nokia Lumia 800 – will be sold in Australia through Optus, Telstra, Vodafone and all major retailers from March.
Available in black, blue (Cyan), pink (Magenta) and white, the Nokia Lumia 800 delivers a great all-round smartphone experience combining Nokia’s strength in design, navigation and camera quality with the latest Windows Phone experiences which include out-of-the-box integrated social networking, access to Marketplace apps and Xbox gaming.
Nokia Australia’s managing director, Chris Carr, said, “Nokia Lumia will change the way people think about Nokia. It signifies a new beginning for the company, bringing together the very best of Nokia’s handset design and services with the latest Windows Phone software.
“Interest locally for Nokia Lumia, our first range of Nokia with Windows Phone devices, has been extremely positive, with a significant appetite from operators and retailers looking to offer consumers a real smartphone alternative.
“With uptake from all Australian operators and major retailers, the launch of the Nokia Lumia 800 signals our intent to regain leadership in smartphone design and usability,” Carr said.
The Nokia Lumia 800 is an elegant, intuitive and easy-to-use phone giving people access to signature Nokia experiences such as Nokia Drive – a fully-fledged personal navigation device (PND) with free, turn-by-turn navigation – and new Nokia Music services such as Mix Radio, a free music streaming service and Gigfinder that helps you find the best music entertainment near you.
Intuitive user interface
· The Nokia Lumia 800 home screen is a grid of live, animated tiles that provide up-to-the-minute updates such as social networks status updates, news and weather feeds, email notifications and calendar alerts.
· Each tile can be tailored to deliver easy access to the applications most often used, for example: a music playlist, a gaming app, a Web page, or an e-mail folder.
· People Hub combines all your contacts and feeds from Facebook, Linked-in and Twitter into one thread and can be pinned to the homescreen.
· The Nokia Lumia 800 is an elegant piece of design engineering. Its sleek, curved casing, together with the 3.7” ClearBlack AMOLED display and precision finishing, heighten the Windows Phone experience.
· The Nokia Lumia 800 has an 8 MP camera with 28mm Carl Zeiss wide-angle lens and HD video. As well as instant photo share capabilities, the phone features touch-to-focus – a function that is unique to Nokia.
Best in class business experience
· The Nokia Lumia 800 puts a 30+ year Windows software heritage– plus apps such asOutlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and OneNote – in the palm of your hand.
· The phone gives you access to Bing, Internet Explorer 9, HTML5 and Wi-Fi.
Additional smart features
· Nokia Music brings new music services and features such as:Mix Radio, whichstream hours of music for free, dividing playlists by genre or generating them based on taste, and; Gigfinder, which lets you search for live local music events, share your discoveries and buy concert tickets online.
· Exclusive to Nokia, Nokia Drive – available in more than 100 countries – turns your handset into a fully-featured sat nav with voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, info on traffic, speed limits and cameras.
· 16GB of internal user memory plus 5GB of additional free SkyDrive storage – ideal for storing all your images and music.
Please visitwww.nokia.com/press for press materials, including photos and product information.